In Vitro Fertilization (IVF Treatment)
When a couple fails to conceive naturally after repeated attempts, the world seems to come at an end for them. Fortunately, science has come up with miracle cures for even the most dismal cases of male and female infertility. Amongst these advanced assisted reproductive techniques is IVF, which replicates the natural fertilization of eggs with sperms, the only difference being that this happens in the lab rather than within the female reproductive system.
IUI-The Procedure Explained
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization, as the name suggests, is the process whereby the female’s eggs are fertilized by the male’s sperms outside the body. Pioneered by an English physiologist, Sir Robert G. Edwards, the procedure which was initially referred as “test tube baby” has come a long way, with as millions of childless couples across the globe having been blessed with IVF babies till date.
Dr Manika Khanna, the leading infertility specialist in India, has performed as many as 6700 successful IVF cycles at Gaudium IVF, the top infertility clinic in India. Now the clinic is going to extend its expert services to patients in Nigeria through its nodal center so that they can avail this opportunity to be experience the joy of parenting.
Understanding IVF- The Basic Steps
As an advanced reproductive technique, IVF is carried out in a series of steps, with timing and accuracy both, playing vital role in the success of a cycle. Here are the basic steps of the procedure:
- Ovarian Stimulation: The cycle begins with the stimulation of female ovaries so that it can step up the production of healthy eggs to maximize the chances of success
- Egg Retrieval: Once the woman’s ovaries produces multiple eggs, the next stage involves surgical retrieval of these eggs
- Lab Fertilization: The eggs so retrieved are fertilized with the sperms which have been taken from the male. This is done in favorable lab conditions
- Embryo Culture: As fertilization takes place successfully in the lab dish, the egg becomes an embryo. It is the screened to ensure that it is healthy and free of abnormalities
- Embryo Transfer: The mature embryo is then transferred into the female’s uterus 3-5 days after its culture. If it implants itself in the uterine lining, pregnancy takes place. The eggs which are left behind can be frozen for subsequent IVF attempts. A pregnancy test confirms the success of IVF 10-15 days after the embryo transfer.
At Gaudium IVF Nigeria, couples can avail the best IVF treatment from experienced specialists so that they have excellent chances of success.